How To Know Your Skin Type
It can be very overwhelming when you are shopping for beauty or skin care products. There are so many options aimed at so many different skin types that sometimes it’s hard to know which is right for you. This is why I have created this post on how to know your skin type. Once you have that figured out it is much easier to pick products that actually work.
So the first thing you need to do is wash your face with a gentle cleanser (I use the Nivea soothing cleansing mousse), and pat your skin dry. Next you need to wait 1 hour for your skin to return to it’s natural state. Whatever you do
DO NOT TOUCH YOUR FACE!
Take a tissue and dab it onto your face focusing on the T-zone. Next determine your skin type, they normally fall into 4 different categories.
– Normal: not oily or dry and feels supple.
– Oily: you will see grease on the tissue.
– Dry: your skin will feel tight and you might be able to see flaky skin.
– Combination: you have a mixture of all of the above, often an oily T-zone and dry/normal everywhere else.
Now is a good time to identify any problems you might have, these could be:
– Sensitive skin: your skin reacts to regular products, it may appear red or dry, you could get a rash and it could be itchy. If you have sensitive skin it is important to learn your triggers.
– Acne prone skin: Don’t be fooled this can happen at any age not just with teens, it is most common in people with oily skin.
Always remember your skin can change. Just because your skin was one way a few years ago doesn’t mean it cannot change into something else at some point. If you are noticing that your make up products are not sitting right on your skin or if your not seeing the same results with your skin care do this test and check your skin type, it could have changed.
Next up I want to go through each skin type and point out some of their typical characteristics which might help you when determining your skin type, along with some tips on how to care for your skin and what to look out for.
If you have normal skin you are very lucky. There are no particular issues you will face for your skin type.
Some typical characteristics of normal skin are:
– No or few imperfections
– No sensitivity
– Barely visible pores
– A radiant complexion
It is very easy to care for and a lot of products will work for your skin but remember it is always important to work from the inside out so don’t forget to drink plenty of water.
Characteristics of dry skin include:
– Almost invisible pores
– A dull, rough complexion
– Red patches
– Less elasticity
– More visible lines
Dry skin can be caused or made worse by:
– Genetic factors
– Ageing or hormonal changes
– Ingredients in soaps and cosmetics
– Weather: wind/sun/cold
– Long, hot baths and showers
– UV radiation: tanning beds
– Indoor heating
Some tips for taking better care of dry skin include:
– Take shorter showers and baths and no more than 1 a day.
– Use mild/gentle soaps and cleansers. Deodorant soaps can also make dry skin worse.
– Don’t scrub while bathing or drying.
– Apply a rich moisturiser right after bathing.
– Use a humidifier and don’t let indoor temperatures get too hot.
Characteristics of oily skin include:
– Enlarged pores
– Dull or shiny, thick complexion
– Blackheads, pimples or other blemishes
Oily skin can be caused or made worse by:
– Puberty or other hormonal imbalances
– Heat or too much humidity
Tips for taking care of oily skin include:
– Wash your skin no more than twice a day and after heavy sweating.
– Use a gentle cleanser and don’t scrub.
– Don’t pick, pop or squeeze spots
– Use products labelled “noncomedogenic”, they tend to not clog pores.
Basics of skincare for every skin type
– Use sunscreen that blocks UVA and UVB rays. Avoid direct sun and wear a hat and glasses.
– Don’t smoke
– Stay hydrated
– Wash skin thoroughly everyday
– Never wear make up to bed
Well I hope some of you found this information helpful and I hope it helps you with figuring out how to know your skin type. If you have anything to add please leave it in the comments section below.
Have a great day guys